Built in 1922 by established grocer Robert Sieber and his wife Nora, the Sieber Grocery Building is a great example of an early 1920’s neighborhood commercial building. Perfectly situated in a rapidly-expanding residential district, it’s first floor retail establishment and second floor family living area provided a much needed local place to live and shop at a time when Oklahoma City’s population would grow by over 100% during the next 10 years.
Bolstered by the Grocery Building’s success, Sieber built the six-story Sieber Apartment Hotel next door. Accommodating both short-stay and long-term tenants (a tradition that lives on today), completely furnished units included kitchen facilities. Although not the first apartment hotel, the concept was brand-new to OKC in 1920’s. Of the four original apartment hotels that were built during the time, The Sieber is the only one that retains its historic significance. It was never just a place to live either. Originally, Hudson Pharmacy and a hotel restaurant occupied the first floor. Between those businesses and the grocery, The Sieber became a community space for its residents and nearby neighbors.
The hotel flourished through the 1930’s and enjoyed success until around the 1970’s. Though several groups after tried to maintain the space, it was eventually left abandoned in the early 80’s for the next 20 years.
In 2005, both buildings were listed on The National Register of Historic Places and managing partner Marva Ellard spearheaded a complete renovation—careful to preserve or recreate as many historically accurate details as possible. Today, The Sieber’s 80 hotel rooms have been converted into 30 apartments and The Grocery Building has become 8 loft-style units.